Monday, October 28, 2013

Mummy Conversations

"What did one mummy say to the other mummy?"


This must be the year of the mummies here at Pretty Petunia.  I was sending a Halloween package to my favorite missionary and all of this mummy goodness just kind of rolled out of my brain.

So let's talk about Mummy Pretzels.  I LOVE chocolate covered pretzels.  But not just any chocolate covered pretzels...they must first be dipped in caramel.  Caramel makes everything better.  Most people like to use the long pretzel rods.  But not me.  I much prefer the Rold Gold Wheat and Honey Twists.  They are delicious.  And they provide a much better chocolate caramel to pretzel ratio!  Let's be honest.  The pretzel is merely the vehicle for all that other goodness.  Don't worry--there will still be plenty of pretzel at the bottom for a little "handle".

So go buy a bag of wheat and honey twists.  I'll wait.

Now you will need some caramel.  Obviously.  I've said it before and I'll say it again.  I prefer the homemade caramel route.  But I do not discriminate.  Whatever is easiest for you.  Make some.  Buy some.  You will find no judgment here.  When your caramel is all warm and melty, dip the pretzel twist.  I like to pour my caramel into a glass cup measure with a handle.  Just hold the pretzel rod by one end and dip the other.  Easy.  Let it firm up on a Silpat mat (or a greased cookie sheet).

After your caramel has cooled onto your pretzel, you are going to dip it into milk chocolate.  I like to use the Guittard milk chocolate discs.  Melt them in a glass cup in the microwave at 30-40 percent power for 30-40 second intervals.  Stir frequently until the chocolate is melted and smooth.  Dip your caramel pretzels into the chocolate and tap off the excess.  Place them on the Silpat mat again or on a piece of parchment paper. Let them solidify.  You may want to pop them into the freezer for a minute or two.

Now melt some white chocolate discs in a plastic bag or in a squeeze bottle.  Use the white chocolate to stripe your pretzels.  Just snip the corner off of the plastic bag.  It will work fine!  We are going for a bandaged look here...so stripe away!

After the white chocolate has solidified, you will want to add some eyes.  Use the same technique that we followed here.



Package three or four to a bag.  Otherwise, how will they chat amongst themselves?

Top it all off with this bag topper!

And give them to all your favorite goblins and ghosts...of corpse!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...